Monday, August 31, 2009

Snow Leopard - A Not So Friendly OS Update

I was one of those people that pre-ordered Snow Leopard mostly on part of it's low price. I was surprised when it actually arrived on the day it was released. It really did feel nice to order something online and actually get it on the release date.

The packaging was what I've come to expect from Apple; a little white box with a colorful new features brochure and the actual disc. I popped it in and started the upgrade installation. I didn't clock how long it took but it was speedy, I'll tell you that.

When it loaded, I noticed a few of my apps weren't working. I thought, "No biggie." I'd probably just fix the problems as I came across them. This was on Saturday.

When I got to work today, I had a call that required a reliable RDC and both CoRD and TeamViewer are not ideal applications for that. So, I tried booting up my Parallels 3.0 virtual machine and wouldn't you know, it was one of the incompatible programs. I spent an hour downloading the new version of Parallels and converting my virtual machine to one that was compatible with Parallels 4.0.

Now, I don't want to start a rant on Parallels and how it's so slow on Snow Leopard but this newer version just isn't on par with the 3.0. I've read about two major issues, one being smart mount and the other being the native indexing that XP does. Although running the index manually as mentioned on their forums does help, it still ran no where near the speed 3.0 ran at. So, I dropped it entirely for VMware. I've heard great things about it for years now but Parallels worked so well, I never found the need or desire to replace it. So, maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

A few other apps that stopped working was an older version of Little Snitch and iStats.