Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Review: The Life Changing Wii Fit

I'm sure you've heard about the Wii Fit. It's still topping the charts in most country's top 10 lists. The games premise is obvious: to got you into shape. But one that I hadn't expected was corrective posture and balancing exercises.

I got the Wii fit as a Christmas present. Back when I was in high school, I'd constantly push myself everyday to get the most out of my daily exercises. I found that it gave me an edge over other students when endurance and strength exercises we're involved. It was my being, my mantra; to try my best. So, I imagined the Wii Fit putting me into some kind of schedule so that I'd pick up where I left of in high school and get my physique back into shape.

My first impressions of the Wii Fit was that this was entirely possible. The strength exercises were everything I expected. After the first 1/2 hour of my session, I really thought this would get me back into the routine of working out in the morning. But, that's also when I tried the yoga section of the first time.

You see, the Wii Fit doesn't just give you all the exercises it want. You have to earn them by trying out the other exercises and games. At first glance, I thought that this was going to be a gimmick, a way to squeeze a minute or two of playing time into your Wii Fit sessions. That might even be the case, but for me, it shed light on a whole new way of exercising: yoga.

I've never had correct posture. I don't know why. Maybe I needed to feel the edge of a rule like so many other had to go through in Catholic school, or maybe I should have been smacked a few times at the dinner table. The fact is, I'm a sloucher and when it's cold, I cuddle my shoulders in. When I walk, I'm very tense and yada yada yada. I have a lot of flaws when it comes to standing up. Using the Wii Fit, I was able to actually see my imperfections in front of me. It was the ability to correct my imbalance. My body responded accordingly. I feel lively like I did back in high school and I can stretch much further than I ever could before.

Even though I don't log that many sessions on the Wii Fit, I catch myself doing this exercises on my living room floor, at work on my lunch break, or at night for no good reason than to give my body that good feeling again. It really is an amazing machine and I look forward to using it more often.