Monday, December 15, 2008

Economic Woes

I'm a subscriber to NPR's Economy podcast. I just finished listening to it and its tone was slightly more depressing than usual. It's segment on the new job environment, full of professionals battling for the same jobs was what bothered me. Although this is nothing new, the twist was the type of job that's on the table: seasonal positions. I don't usually imagine my collegial peers on the sales floor when stopping in Best Buy. But if it was the case that they'd be working there, I'd assume they'd be working for some extra money, trying to make a little ends meat, but according to NPR, that term doesn't apply. They're working there to make a living, competing with other seasonal workers.

Ever since my mother was laid off, I haven't felt secure about my future. Recent talks had always involved plans of me moving out and going to live with my girlfriend someplace in the city. I currently live out in the West Suburbs. But the more I thinking about it, the worse of an idea becomes. This was the plan, leave home and pay someone else money that could be going towards my family's well being. Although the perk is I'd be living somewhere of choosing as opposed to necessity, the sentiment is this is not the right time. I move like that, at this point in time would be selfish.

But, is now the right time? I suppose this is the age old question people in my position have asked themselves. I'd be willing to bet most people aren't at the age of 25 so maybe it is time that's driving my motivation.