Friday, April 30, 2010

Game Gripper

When I first saw Game Gripper, I knew I'd like it but I didn't think I'd love it! It arrived this morning and at first glance it wasn't what I thought it'd be. You see, it's made out of rubber. I had this expectation that it'd be an attachment that would click on; it'd be made of some kind of hard plastic. But rubber holds in place well so it works.

The design is pretty good too. When you place it over the phone, you'll notice that it's flush on the top and bottom. The sides stick out a bit and don't hug the Droid's body perfectly but it's a necessary evil: how else would you attach it?

The first game I tried out was my absolute favorite game on the Genesis: The original X-Men. In about 10 minutes, I was already in Mojo's level with Nightcrawler, of course. The controls are perfect although the pad did slip from time to time. Either way, it doesn't matter, it's still a great experience.

But as with everything in life, I did find one flaw and that's with the button scheme. I don't understand why he choose to add 4 buttons in the middle. At no point while playing X-Men did I feel the urge to go hunting for them. But what saddens me the most is that Street Fighter will not be playable with these controls. SNK games will be great if Neo-Geo Pocket is ever released but Capcom fans are in for a disappointment. I really wish the designer would have would have looked more into the traditional Sega button scheme. On the bright side, there are tons of other games you can play to relive those childhood memories so don't this oversight keep you from buying one.

Grade: A+

Note to Droid Users: This is a must have!